Saturday, March 10, 2012

Faux Brads













I love going to my studio getting away from the rest of the world. I was working on my steam trunk (which I'm loving) I ran out of antiques metal brads....ggggrrrr.... Nothing is more frustrating than when your on a roll you run out of materials. I live in the boonies so its not like I can just jump in the car drive two miles and there is Michaels or JoAnnes. So I went to JoAnne.com looking for them. After looking at 376 different types of brads. Nope they don't carry those brads. So I went to Archivers.com nope no brads there either. Well Michaels seems to be the only one who carries this type of brads. Michaels does not have an online store and the nearest Michaels is 60+ miles away. So I decided to experiment and make faux brads. I had plenty of shiny chrome brads. I was talking to my friend Mary about this and she suggested that I sand the chrome brads before I put alcohol inks on them. So I did. I sanded the brad and then used caramel colored alcohol ink. I used perfect pearls and silver embossing powder . Some. I embossed with silver and then dipped them into the alcohol ink. I painted the perfect pearls (copper and pewter) over the silver embossed brad . You will see the Faux vs the real thing in the pictures above.... In the photo with the multiple different brads, the first is the original chrome, and the second is what it looked like after I sanded it, and the rest are the different Faux brads I made. I am so glad I don't have to travel 60+ miles just for brads. Problem resolved......And it was fun trying to figure out how to make faux brads.

No comments:

Post a Comment